How Important Is Dental Hygiene?
Posted by Hallmark Dental Group on Dec 2 2021, 06:17 AM
At Hallmark Dental Group, our primary goal is to help our patients stay in excellent dental and oral health. With a focus on preventive dental care, our dental team supports our patients to commit to dental health by following good at-home oral hygiene habits. We believe that it is important to invest in oral hygiene to prevent tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease and have healthy teeth that last a lifetime.
What Does Good Oral Hygiene Results In?
If you follow good oral hygiene practices,
- You have teeth that are clean and free of debris, plaque, and tartar
- You have pink gums that do not hurt or bleed while brushing, flossing, or having food
- Your breath smells good
What Constitutes Good Oral Hygiene?
Good oral hygiene practice essentially comprises daily at-home preventive care and regular dental visits for dental examinations and professional teeth cleanings. This helps stop dental issues before they develop or prevent them from being severe.
At-home Preventive Care
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss your teeth once daily
- Clean your tongue using a tongue scraper
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash
- Consume a balanced, nutritious diet
- Limit the intake of sugar and coffee
- Do not smoke
- Use dental products containing fluoride
- Drink fluoridated water
Routine Dental Cleaning and Evaluation
The ADA recommends that everyone should visit their dentist once every six months for professional teeth cleaning and examination. This helps the dentist to help keep your mouth healthy and detect dental issues in their initial stages.
During your dental check-ups at Hallmark Dental Group, we will:
- Clean and eliminate plaque and tartar from your teeth using dental tools
- Check for dental issues like tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease
- Perform evaluation of head and neck to check for any lesions or oral tissue inconsistencies
- Protect your teeth with dental sealants and fluoride treatments if needed
Importance of Good Oral Hygiene
The primary purpose of good oral hygiene is to prevent tooth decay, cavities, and gum infection. Beyond this, here are other reasons why oral hygiene is essential:
- Poor oral hygiene can affect your overall health and cause complications like diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, bacterial pneumonia, sepsis, pregnancy complications, low birth weight, and oral cancer
- Helps in the earlier detection of oral diseases
- Prevents tooth loss
- Help patients have a whiter and brighter smile
Get in touch with Hallmark Dental Group to know about best oral hygiene practices. Call us at (435) 634-8338 or schedule an appointment online.